Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Portsmouth to Braintree


It was great to sleep in a bit today. We got to wander around Portsmouth, NH until 3:30 pm, so Steve, Karen, Gerald, and I went to lunch at the coolest restaurant called Friendly Toast. It was kinda like a 1950’s diner, except with a punk twist. There were dolls, taxidermy stuffed animals, strange paintings, and even a funhouse mirror. The food was really good, too. After lunch, Karen and I went perusing the cute shops. I got some nice things at a Life is Good store… and I also found some Life is Crap stuff! They also had a great art glass store that I remember going to 10 years ago with Beth and John Schaefer… the woman in the store remembered us! The church in Portsmouth is so pretty!

We all got on the buses at 3:30 and left for Worcester, MA… we got there at about 5:00. Steve, Karen, Joe, Heather, and I got dinner at Pizzeria Uno then warmed up for the concert at 7:30. I talked to a man that worked for the theater, and he said that Sousa brought the US Marine Band to the same theater on their first nationwide tour in 1891. That’s pretty cool… it’s neat to be a part of history. This was our last concert of 1’s. Tomorrow is a day off and we start rehearsals Wednesday and rehearse through Friday… the rehearsals are to learn our 2 concerts. It’ll be nice to have some new music… although I’ll miss “Vientos y Tangos” and “The Devil and Daniel Webster.”

After the concert, we all piled on the bus and drove to Braintree, MA. There’s a mall across the street…. but it’s a pretty good distance from Boston. We checked in at 11:15 pm… it was a pretty long day! I’m so glad we get to stay in one place for the whole week!

No comments: